Excelsior and Lake Minnetonka are gems that have so much to offer it’s hard to know where to begin! Four season fun awaits from the moment you step out our front door. Boat excursions, fishing expeditions, sailing, sandy beaches, bike, ski, and walking trails, regional parks galore, funky boutique shopping, leaf peeping, trolley rides, ice fishing, great restaurants, dinner theaters, bars, live music and a lovely arboretum are just a few of the many attractions and adventures available to our visitors. So keep reading to:
- Steamboat Minnehaha – Historic tour on a historic boat, 952-474-2115
- Queen of Excelsior – Various public cruises available, 952-474-2502
- Lady of the Lake – Narrated tours Tues, Thur, Sun, 952-929-1209
- Paddle Tap – Groups can peddle a paddle boat while you drink and see the sights
- Bay to Bay Boat Club – Speed boats, pontoons and fishing boats, 952-401-3880
- Bay Rentals – Jet-skis, 952-474-0366
- Sail Away Sailing School – Owner-operated 2-hour sailing lessons, 612-871-8101
- Tommy’s Tonka Trolley – Kayaks and paddleboards – 952-220-0102
- cBoard SUP – Stand-Up-Paddleboard yoga (yes, real yoga) and tours, 612-991-6727
- Fishing Guides –
- Great fishing for walleye, bass, northern pike, etc.
- Excel Boat Club
- Pike Dreams
- Lake Minnetonka Guides
- Bull’s Guide Service
Swede’s Guide Service
- Stonebrook – 15 miles, 7 day advance on-line res, 952-496-3171
- Dahlgreen – 15 miles, 6 day advance res, 952-448-7463
- Willingers – 45 miles, 9 day advance res, 952-440-7000
- Chaska – 8 miles, 4-day advance res, 952-443-3748
- Baker National – 6 miles, 5-day advance on-line res, 763-473-0800
- Deer Run – 8 miles, 5-day advance on-line res, 952-443-2351
- Bluff Creek – 8 miles, 952-445-5685
- Island View – 12 miles, 952-442-6116
Biking – Endless trails 1/2 block from the inn! Two bikes available or bring your own.
Bike Taxi – Call ahead to get a pedicab ride or tour of the area – 612-338-1128
- Two clean, sandy public beaches
- Tennis/Basketball – Outdoor public courts, good condition, one basketball, two tennis
- Cross-country skiing
- Snowmobiling – Cruise the lake (Bay Rentals 952-474-0366), or drive to northern trails
- Excelsior Special Events – A calendar of events is put out by the Excelsior Chamber
318 Cafe, 952-401-7902. Cafe and coffeehouse by day, live music listening room by night – and right across the street!
- Patisserie Margo, 952-746-2232. Super-yummy baked goods – also soups and light fare
- Excelsior Brewing Tap Room, 952-474-7837. Very popular new micro-brewery with tours Sat 12-2 and tap room open Thur-Sat.
- Jake O’Connors Public House. 952-908-9650. Irish bar, large menu, friendly servers! Spacious restaurant, reservations available, but not always needed so just call ahead.
- Yumi’s Sushi, 952-474-1720. Award-winning sushi served by Yumi herself, now in a new expanded location.
- Antiquity Rose. 952-474-2661. A sweet “ladies who lunch” type place. Homemade soups and desserts.
- Licks Unlimited, Seasonal and very popular ice-cream shop – the line goes down the block on a warm summer day!
- Lagos Tacos. 952-300-8495. Inspired by Mexican street tacos, but with an imaginative twist. Lobster, walleye, marinated pork are some of the favorites. Lively bar and a great tequila selection. No reservations.
- Dunn Bros, 952-401-8004. Coffee shop with live music Fridays and Saturdays at 8:00.
- Haskells, 952-474-0937. The quintessential small-town bar – with good food and a view of the lake.
- Tommy’s Tonka Trolley, 952-474-1313. Serving famous local Sebastian Joe’s ice cream, and renting kayaks and paddleboards
- Maynards. 952-470-1800. Lakeside hot spot, great boat and people-watching. Indoor and outdoor dining and bars. Reservations suggested.
- Bayside Grille. 952-474-1113. Another lakeside hot spot, and a popular wedding venue. Indoor and outdoor dining and bars. No reservations, but you can call ahead.
- Adele’s Frozen Custard, 952-470-0035. Rich and delicious homemade frozen custard – flavors change daily. Also has a lunch menu. Seasonal.
- Joey Nova’s Pizza. 952-405-2700. East Coast style pizza, salads, subs and pasta. They deliver!
- Hazellwood Grill and Tap Room. 952-401-0066. Casual American dining. Open for breakfast, lunch and
- Lord Fletcher’s Old Lake Lodge. 952-471-8513. A Lake Minnetonka tradition. Reservations recommended.
- Excelsior Dock Cinema – This wonderful old-timey movie theater has several
screens and tasty popcorn – just two blocks down by the lake.
- Old Log Theater – Live performances at this legendary professional theater.
- Chanhassen Dinner Theater – This is the nation’s largest professional dinner theater!
A short drive from the inn.
- Arboretum – If you love gardens and nature, the Minnesota Landscape
Arboretum is not to be missed! There are hiking trails, a gift shop and restaurant as well.
- Spirit of the Lake Yoga – A short walk to their studio for serious yoga.
- Knewtson Massage Therapy – Serious massage either in your room or at their office. Mention the Bird House Inn for $10 discount.
- Bella on the Bay– Spa and salon – hair, skin, massage, and more. Pamper yourself!
- Farmer’s Market – Every Thursday, May-September all the way up and down the block
- Trolley – Ride a restored historic streetcar.
- Gale Woods Farm – A working farm within the Three Rivers Parks district. Lots of fun for families.